Saturday 15 May 2021

MY FIRST ROLL TAKEN WITH CANON AE-1 PROGRAM

Hello everyone! Maycey here. It's been so long since I updated my photo blog. Almost 3 years since my last post... Hope everyone's doing fine now with the new COVID updates. Meh, I know. Jiayou everyone! :) (especially those prepping for HBL omg it was a nightmare). You know what I’ll miss temporarily? Buffets. LOL. I kinda found a liking towards oysters now and you tell me, where to find free flow oysters now huh!! Anyway, do stay safe and drink lots of water :) Water is good and it's my favourite drink. No who am I kidding, it's tehbing siewdai. Ok shut up Maycey no one cares about oysters or tehbing now HAHA oops I’m talking to myself erm.. 

Before you continue reading, I always encourage clicking "view web version" instead of the individual blog post link 'cos the photos will look bigger and clearer :D

I recently bought myself an SLR film camera (FINALLY!! Go see my May 2013 blogpost lol I used a Holga last time). I've always known I wanted one since I started photography, but did not have the guts to buy it 'cos of the film cost + I have this thing I need to capture things quick/in the moment and I can't deal with manual settings. Maybe I'm just a noob lol. But it's a good thing! 'cos I'm forced to use manual now. It really makes me think carefully what settings to use.

Also, I'm so glad I have time to dedicate to my hobbies i.e. photography and music this holiday. I need to appreciate this moment because I haven't had the time or motivation to do so while working and it was taking a toll on my mental health. Sometimes days just felt so mundane like I was repeating the same routine. Life, death, humans, you name it. To add on, I was physically tired. It's so important to prioritise your happiness and wellbeing and take time to do things you like. I found it hard to even pick up my guitar or the camera, I just gave up on them. I.just.dropped.everything lol. So nowwww, when I finally have the motivation and my motor running, I'm slowly learning to take things one step at a time :) 

SO HERE IT IS!!! 
Here are photos taken on my CANON AE-1 PROGRAM
And of course, to commence the first use of my camera, I had to buy Kodak Portra 400 film (duh). Yes I know, I love Portra but tbh I love Agfa Vista more in VSCO. When I shoot in digital I like to achieve the film look p.s. I love editing photos and I have this thing whereby I love guessing types of films heh. 

For my own discipline, I will include my manual settings for each photo :) I'm still new to shooting in full manual so do give any feedback if you happen to chance upon this post.

Photography language time (ahem...drum rolllllll):
1) I metered this to ISO 200 = I am pulling the film and overexposing it by 1 stop. Why? Because when I set my camera to have a lower ISO rate than my film (ISO 400), I am telling my camera that the film is less sensitive to light (Higher ISO means more sensitive to light), so the camera exposes my film to more light.
Wow Maycey u remembered these? Actually no, I just plagiarised this but rephrased and changed the ISO number. Just kidding, I test myself on and off now on the settings lol. 
2) I'm using this app called Lightmeter Pro. My camera has a light meter as well (it shows the aperture reading when I've set my shutter speed).  
3) I developed my photos at Whampoa Colour Centre (thank you hehe). They sent the soft copies really fast too I’ve never clicked on an email this quick :’) The colours turned out so pretty! 

Ok enough talking, here are the photos :) 
F2.8, 1/30
F/4, 1/250
F5.6, 1/2
F2.8, 1/60
F4, 1/30
F4, 1/250
F2.8, 1/125
F1.8, 1/60
F4, 1/125
F4, 1/125
F4, 1/250
F2.8, 1/30
F16, 1/500
F11, 1/125
F16, 1/250
F1.8, 1/8
F8-11, 1/125
F8, 1/125
F16, 1/250
F16, 1/250
F16, 1/250
F8, 1/250
F11-16, 1/125
F5.6-8, 1/125
F5.6-8, 1/125
F8-11, 1/125
F8-11, 1/125
F8-11, 1/125
F8, 1/125
F8, 1/125
F2.8, 1/30

Hehe thank you for reading my post :) I get very happy when I talk about photography. I'm still using trial and error for my settings so hopefully I'll get better at shooting in manual. There were light leaks in 2 photos and I don’t know man should I be concerned ><

Ohya I have this thing that I want to know yet I don't want to know - does film processing take place in a red darkroom like those in tv shows lol. DON'T TELL ME I WANT TO FIND OUT MYSELF. But also I don't wanna know HAHA more fun that way. Like a mystery~ Maybe one day I'll also get to shoot a Leica camera haha ok stop dreaming. 

Ok that's all for now!!! 

With love,
Maycey

1 comment: